Friday, August 15, 2014

Where did my baby go???

Isabelle turned 3 in May, and on her birthday we celebrated big but we also said goodbye to all her therapists and coordinator.
The Early Steps program ends at 3 years old and the next day, she could have gone straight into the school system.  We decided to hold off until August since school only had a few more weeks.
and now... here is August.  August- you sure showed up fast!
Yesterday, we went to her PreK-D orientation.  She is ready... I am not.  Why you ask?!?  I know that she will do great, I know that she will own the room, I know that she will easily make friends.  What I won't know... is how her day was, did she fall down on the play ground, did she like the lunch we made for her, was someone mean to her?
You see, everyday that I pick up Izzy from daycare- I ask her how her day was and what she did.  Her reply is always- Yeah.  She isn't able to give me details or an explanation.  She's three and we haven't been able to have a true conversation yet.
Don't get me wrong, she makes herself known with what she wants.  Sister is smart but just can't verbalize completely with words yet.  I know she will get there with time and more therapy.  So right now, we communicate the way that works best for us- some signing, some talking, some pointing or pulling us by the hand.
The Elementary school is so big and she is so little.  I just want to protect her from the world but at the same time I want to see her soar high.  Soar as high as she could ever dream possible.
I know those two statements don't go together- me protecting her from the world but also letting her soar. This is where I have to learn to let go just a little bit.  Let her be the independent little girl she really wants to be.
I don't want to but I will... slowly.
Here's to taking baby steps towards this new adventure.  Watch out Bluewater... Miss Priss is heading your way!

No comments: