Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sibling day

Today is National Sibling day.  Yeah, I just learned about it too. 
I am so thankful that my kids have each other.  The boys fight like no other right now but really deep down, I know they love each other and have each other's back. 
The boys love strong and fight hard.  It must be the age!  One minute they are playing so well and being kind and the next, one is reaching over the car seat to take a swing at the other.  I know at the end of the day though, that they will always be there for each other.
...and the relationship the boys have with Isabelle is so special. 
The boys are learning so much from Isabelle and she is learning from them.  They are learning acceptance and unconditional love.  Things that Isabelle is teaching them so much better than I could have alone.  Isabelle is learning from the boys just by watching and playing with them.   It is amazing that they incorporate things from her therapies without even knowing it.
Down Syndrome is not in the boy's vocabulary too often but sometimes they do ask questions and we answer them the best that we can. A child's mind is interesting... will her DS go away when she gets older?, will she look like us?, I wish she didn't have that scar on her chest, some days I wish she didn't have DS because I just want things to be easier for her (Ethan thinks deep sometimes).

                    
We were upfront with the boys during my pregnancy so they knew Isabelle would be extra special when she was born.   From the beginning, they were always more concerned with her broken heart than they were with the Down Syndrome.  They couldn't comprehend such a big surgery for their baby sister.  Mommy and Daddy had a hard time with that one too!


At home, she likes to be wherever the boys are.  She will scoot herself right up next to them and invade their bubble.  All my kids are good at doing that.  We might need to start working on boundaries next. 
Isabelle can say each of her brother's names- Aiden is very clear and she has been calling both brothers that for a while but she just learned to say EYay (her version of Ethan) and she is so proud.  She lights up when they come into the room and when Isabelle cries, you can guarantee that the boys will be running into the room at any second to check on her. 


I am so thankful that these three kids have each other.  All three have a special bond with each other and I can't wait to watch them grow up together!

No comments: