Friday, August 9, 2013

Is she that different??

Is Izzy really that different from you and I??  She may not be walking yet or talking as much as another two year old but really... is she that different?
I no longer think about Down Syndrome on a daily basis.  This is a good thing... progress.
Everywhere we go, Izzy waves and makes friends so easily.  Sister never meets a stranger! I love this about her.  I love that she is social. 
Sometimes though, I just want to blend into the crowd.  There are times, I don't want Izzy to draw so much attention.  I just want to be...
Be in a store and not have someone stop and look a little longer than usual.  Be at a play ground and just play and not worry about what others are thinking.  Just be...
For some reason, I had an emotional night when we visited the Commons recently.  I took the kids to  play and run off some energy.  Izzy loves to scoot her way all over the playground.  She no longer wants to just sit and watch everyone- no more relaxing for Mommy.  She has to be right in the center of everything.  That night, I was right by her side but every time I looked up... someone was looking- watching her.  Most had smiles but some just stared.  I tried to ignore it and not let it bother me, maybe even smile, but for some reason this night... I just couldn't.
Izzy doesn't pay any attention to the stares but one day she will.  I don't want my baby girl's heart to hurt because some people don't understand that everyone in this world is different and that is ok.
No one said anything mean that night but sometimes words don't have to be said... it can be in the "look".
I know this is something that comes with having a child with special needs and I still have a lot to learn.  We are just at the beginning of this journey.  There will be some high highs and a few lows.  Izzy is so worth every emotion I feel.  These experiences will continue to make me grow and help continue to open my mind to accepting others- alike and different. 

No comments: