Friday, September 28, 2012

Heart day- One year ago today


Isabelle, today is your heart day. One year ago today, I placed you in the arms of a nurse and watched as she walked you through the double doors and into the operating room. That was one of the hardest Mommy moments for me. I had to trust God like never before and trust that the doctor would take care of you and bring you back to me safe and healthy. I am so thankful for your Doctor and his team that they were able to repair your heart and now you are a new little baby. You no longer sleep most of the day due to lack of oxygen or from being overly tired. You can drink all the milk you want and need in one sitting without taking a break to rest. You are getting stronger each and every day. These are the little things that I took for granted when your brothers were babies.
The moment I was allowed into your room after your surgery was tough.  I wasn't prepared for what I saw.  Yes, I read blogs and looked at pictures but you are my baby and I wasn't prepared to see my baby like this.  I had to stay strong though because you needed me now more than ever.   

Recently, I told someone that your heart surgery was just this past September and just a few days ago I realized that “just this past September” was actually a year ago. It still feels like it was yesterday or just a few months ago. If I stop and think about it, all of the feelings/emotions come flooding back in. I am so thankful for this day - because you are healthier- but to be honest, I try not to think about it too much. That day and the days that followed are ones that a Mommy doesn’t forget but it is a part of us and the journey we are on. 


But Sister… you are such a strong girl. You amazed me, your entire family and the hospital staff. Everyone grew to love you in that short stay. Towards the end of your hospital stay, I would come in for the day and you would be chilling at the nurses’ station and that made me smile inside. I knew you were getting a little extra love and you so deserved it.


You are perfect and you’re Mommy, Daddy and brothers (along with many others) love you to the moon and back. It has taken me a while but I now know that God knew we needed you- just the way you are- in our lives. We couldn’t have asked for a better baby girl to complete our family.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Happy, happy Heart Day, beautiful girl!! Wow, look how far you've come!!! <3