Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Seaside 1/2

Last Sunday, I ran/jogged/walked in my first 1/2 marathon.  Stephanie and I signed up in October fully expecting to be completely prepared to run and be in shape by March.  Well... sometimes life just doesn't slow down.
I was unprepared and nervous but I am so glad I did it.  There was no way I was willing to back out.  The last thing my son Ethan said to me was "Mommy, just don't quit".  It was now not just about me.  I had to prove to myself and to my kids that I could do this. 

I was able to run a lot more than I thought I would be able to.  I got some great pointers from some women that have run 1/2 marathons before and that really helped me out. 
I ran with a smile majority of the way.  I was so proud of myself.  I was doing it and I swear I heard the Rocky theme playing in the background a few times during the race.  It was like with each step, I gained a little bit more confidence.  I have been so down on myself lately because sometimes life just sucks but this is what I needed. 


Yeah, I scarfed that BBQ down within 2 minutes of sitting down.
It helped too that there were some of the best encourager's on the side of the road.  One lady looked at me as I ran past her and yelled "your daughter is so proud of you!"  She is??? I was a sappy mess.  She didn't know I needed to hear that just at that time.  Then, the next mile, I would get a text from Ryan and the kids saying how proud they were of me. 

Around mile 9-10, every muscle in my lower body began to hurt.  When I would try to run, my knees cried out and I knew I couldn't push my body much more.  I began walking and slowly, people began passing me up.  Once I saw the finish line, I knew I had to cross it running and I did- slowly.  I was sent a picture of me crossing the finish line and it isn't pretty so I will spare you.  These pictures are actually going to be placed on my mirror and possibly my fridge as motivation.  I haven't had a full body picture taken of me in years and now I know why.  It is time to work on me!
Today, I received the final time and believe me... it is quite laughable.  I didn't have high expectations for this race because like I said- I didn't prepare my body.  My main goals were to just finish and not be the last person to finish.  Both of those goals, I met.  So I am stoked! 
It is Thursday and I am finally able to get up and walk around without moaning.  I hurt from my toes to my abs.  Every muscle cried out in pain after this run.  But now... I am motivated to start preparing for my next race!


No comments: